Monday, October 19, 2009

Proper Netiquette

The point the professionals are making in the article, “Yo, can u plz help me write English?” is that students are applying the same language they use online with everyday writing such as homework and job applications. Abbreviations of words, such as “u” for you, “plz” for please, and “2” instead of to are just some examples that are coming up in wrong and unnecessary places, ruining young people’s grammar.
I agree that there is a time and place for shorter abbreviations of words when grammar does not matter, such as in online chat rooms. But when writing to a professional and doing something that requires proper grammar, good punctuation and full words should be used. I believed that students are fully capable of writing out the correct word, they are just lazy. They know the difference of right and wrong but do not want to take the time to make their work acceptable. I think taking away children’s instant messaging on the internet is unnecessary. Even though their use of improper grammar may be less, they will always know the “easier” way to write things, they just have less opportunity to do it.
I say this because I am obviously a student, and I do use abbreviations and shortcuts for words while instant messaging and texting, but I also know not do when at school. Even though it saves time and takes more effort, I think students just simply choose not to be correct because they are too lazy to fix it.

1 comment:

Andrew Jones said...

Good discussion of the topic!